Jan 22, 2013

Smoothies!!

I got these books for Christmas and I LOVED all the great information in them. I am super interested in  nutrition and health. Dr. Fuhrman basically says to cut out processed foods, replace with mostly plant based whole foods for optimal health. I don't like the word diet, or anything that you do for only a short period of time. This book motivated me to just eat as many whole, fresh foods as possible for the rest of my life!  

Especially this time of year with all of the different illnesses that are going around, I want to be protected! (And as a side note, we don't get flu shots...)

So an easy way to get lots of produce in was to whip up some smoothies!  These were the supplies I picked up from Trader Joe's -

Did you all know that you CAN NOT taste spinach in smoothies!!???  It is amazing! Leah loves it and we are getting all the nutrients packed in one drink! 

Our favorite so far -
Amount depends on the size of your blender.
1 cup baby spinach
1 cup berries
1/2 a banana
Almond milk or water for desired consistency
I am also going to start adding chia seeds after I go get some.

We are now obsessed and Leah asks to help me make our smoothie every day. She likes to help me by pouring in all the ingredients. 

After a few days I realized that my blender sucked and it wasn't blending things well enough.  So I bought myself a new toy after hearing recommendations from my aunt and cousin.
 Love it! And no I am not getting anything from the company, I just really like it :-)

Don't let a smoothie addict loose in Costco!!
We are having fun inventing new combos, including avocados, cucumbers, kale, almonds and more!  I can't wait until spring and summer when more fresh produce will become available!  It feels amazing doing something so beneficial for my family!


Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! I've been making them for a while now. I use my regular blender but my mom loves her bullet and I used it when I was home for Christmas. A frozen, ripe banana will pretty much mask the taste of anything "green" in a green smoothie. I like the frozen mangos from TJ's. The ratio I use is 2:2 (fruits to greens). I made a banana, avocado, mango and spinach one the other day with almond milk. I think that's my favorite so far; it was so good it tasted like dessert! I want to start adding chia seeds too. This is why we are friends, smart woman ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done the spinach smoothie before and I was shocked you couldn't taste the spinach either! I've done a little ground flaxseed in them too before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added that blender to my amazon wishlist! Looks awesome. Neil and I want to be eating better, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Now I want one so I can make more smoothies. The blender I own is a piece of crap (I bought it on a whim from CVS one day, what can you expect?). I had no idea you couldn't taste spinach in smoothies, that is so awesome! I'll have to make these for Natalie.

    ReplyDelete