Jan 22, 2012

Ice Storm and No Power :(

The fun of our snowed in day was quickly ruined when we lost our power early in the morning Thursday. That same day there was a bad ice storm. Those are really rare in Seattle. There was freezing rain all day with temps in the teens. Add in no power or cell phone service and UGH.  All day we heard trees snapping down. Thankfully there are no trees close to our house. And thank GOD we have a gas fireplace and gas water heater. But we were still dreading that night with Leah. I was so anxious that she would be cold.  It was annoying not being able to cook our meals. We ate a lot of peanut butter sandwiches and chips.  Our whole area was out of power so we couldn't go out for hot food.  It ended up being ok that evening, we sat with blankets by the fire and colored and played with toys. The fireplace heated up the house enough for us to sleep fairly comfortably, all bundled up of course.  And then we spent the whole next day at my mom's and went to my friend's house for dinner.  We finally got our power back late Friday night. I was so glad. I was dreading another cold, dark night.  But we still didn't have cable, internet or cell phone service until TODAY!!!  Crazy!

Here are some pics from our day without power.  It was too cold to go outside so we stayed in all day.
Patty cake!

Daredevil!
 These next few pics were taken in the pitch dark. My flash makes it look like there were lights on. It was so dark that I didn't notice some marker on Leah's face until the next morning :-)



The ice was actually really cool looking.  I have never seen anything like it!  I tried to get some good pics...

Everything was just covered in ice
Block of ice car


Icicles everywhere! Me and my brother loved icicles when we were little.

Our alley
So anyway, very exciting past week.  But SO thankful to be getting back to normal now!

5 comments:

  1. Wow I have never experienced snow or ice at all, and it looks just like it does in the movies with the icicles dripping off the roof. It must be so pretty to look at but not necessarily alot of fun to defrost your car lol
    Hope you guys stayed warm and no damage was done to your place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I should have read this post first. No electricity is awful. You survived! I guess that's a positive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that ice-storm was a mess! We didn't loose our power - but my brother (in Issaquah) lost his and my parents lost theirs too. We have a cabin near Crystal Mt. that is still out of power too! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you all had this crazy weather in Seattle and we have barely had anything in MN- what a crazy winter!? Glad you made the best of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that sucks. I remember when DC was hit in 2009 with Snowmageddon! It was crazy!

    ReplyDelete