Oct 25, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Today I tried out my first recipe that I have found on Pinterest! Yay! This is the perfect recipe for a cool fall evening. And really easy too. You know I love my crock pot recipes!

You need -
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used the kind with green chilies)
1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn (I only used about a 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used frozen)
1/2 cup chopped yellow, green, or red bell pepper (I used a frozen medley with all 3 kinds)
1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
1 10.75-ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups milk (I used whole)
2 chicken breasts (I used 4 frozen chicken breast tenderloins)

In a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place 2 chicken breasts on top of mixture.
In a large bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce and soup. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker.
Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Remove chicken and cut or shred into bite sized pieces. Add chicken back into soup.
Top with pepper jack cheese, avocado, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips. Note: if the soup is too thick for you, just add a little more milk after it’s all cooked.
I think it turned out the perfect consistency and I served it with avocado and crackers. The only thing was that it turned out pretty spicy (which I love, but if you are sensitive to it, get mild enchilada sauce.) Leah still ate it though!  It is so healthy and flavorful too. It didn't need any added salt or flavorings.

1 comment:

  1. Ok I am seriously making that tomorrow. The fact that I can throw in my frozen chicken tenders totally sells me on it! And with this cold weather its soup season! :)

    ReplyDelete